morning babble / Friday 01-27-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
Happy Friday – last one for January! I cannot believe next week is February. How many people still writing 2022?
Bad beer last night – I’m at that age where I don’t want to drink a bad beer. Not a beer snob just protecting my girthiness. Funny – I write down girthiness and it wants to change it to grittiness – 2 completely different ideas.
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- Sam Smith’s 4th studio album dropped today and it’s called Gloria / 13 songs spread out over 33 minutes – take what you can get. The song being pushed today talks about Sam being “so over love songs” and the fun-time goal of: “I need a partner when the lights come on.” It’s called ‘I’m Not Here to Make Friends’ (clip) The actual video for that song will be available this weekend – here’s the link. Wrapping up the album on Gloria, the final song is a duet that includes Ed Sheeran called “Who We Love” – that will have to be pushed as a single at some point.
- “Outshined” is a song by American rock band Soundgarden. Written by frontman Chris Cornell, “Outshined” was released in 1991 as the second single from the band’s third studio album, Badmotorfinger (1991) – definition courtesy of Wikipedia. Today, we get a cover of that song from the group, Brass Against (clip). I’ve been listening to this group. They play all kinds of covers from bands that I love, like Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Run the Jewels. The brass sound to go along with that rock sound – totally digging that. Highly suggest going deep on them – Brass Against.
- Last December, my wife and some friends of ours hit up Philly and went to the South Jazz Kitchen to see the holiday show from Emmaline, who is an incredibly talented jazz singer. She has a new album coming soon and today we get the first taste with the song “These are the Memories” (clip) Looking forward to the rest. She’s actually on a small tour right now, too. Not coming to Philly quite yet, but we’ve seen her twice now at South Jazz Kitchen and I’m sure that there will be a third. My mouth is watering.
- Couple days before Christmas, we got the booty shaking song “Dancing’s Done” from Ava Max. Today, we get the rest of the album Diamonds and Dancefloors – 14 songs in just under 40 minutes – nearly half the album has been pushed with singles. Today, Spotify is pushing her song, “Ghost” (clip)
- A whole lot of disco-sound happening. Going back to the 70s, are we? Anyway, here’s something that isn’t new (came out last February), but has definitely gotten into my head lately. I learned about from this guy. Matt Kessler and his YouTube channel called Too Many Records (clip) After a statement like that, I had to dig into that album. I actually opened the Babble today with a clip of the song that crawled into my head. Here’s another clip from that song “One Way” by Saba (clip) He’s smiling as he’s editing himself for the radio show that he’s on. Apparently, he got his start by collaborating with Chance the Rapper, but he’s definitely flying quite nicely on his own right now. Again, that’s Saba with his album Few Good Things. Thanks again to Too Many Records also – now, I have another record added to my vinyl to get list.
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pitchfork & I know there’s more. Too Many Records!
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Life is a lot like jazz . . . it’s best when you improvise.” – I saw that at South Jazz Kitchen in Philly – back wall of the stage – that’s George Gershwin