morning babble / Friday 09-22-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
You’ve got a happy Brent today. That’s some new Blink-182
Ahhhh – New Music Friday – I do get that Christmas Eve feeling on Thursday’s night “Friday Eve” for myself – that’s how much I love music. If I happen to wake up in the Thursday overnight at like 2am and I’ll take a peek at all the musical gifts left for me via Spotify Santa. (Christmas Story drop)
We’ll get to New Music Friday in a second, but as always – lately – here’s the self-promotion part of the video. Share – don’t keep me all to yourself – I know that I’m a good snuggler, but please share. Spread the Babble. Subscribe on YouTube. Sign up for the newsletter – next weekend is October. You won’t be getting a new one then, but I will have an October newsletter coming out.
Couple things with the Babble – I’ll be checking in this weekend as I prep for my 5k race on Sunday. As for the weather on Sunday – wet. It’s not just a chance of rain. It’s 3/4″ of rain will be here. That’s wet. Can’t wait. Lastly – 3 Day Fast is next week – won’t you join in. (Van Wilder Drop “won’t you join me”)
Whole lot of Brent music today
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- New Blink-182! For me and many of their fans – finally! And – we didn’t just get one, but two new songs. I played at the beginning of the Babble today – the “B” side or Track 2 is the song: “More Than You Know.” Then, the other one is the titled track of their upcoming album which is due out in its entirety on October 20th: “One More Time . . . ” (clip) Via Pitchfork’s Evan Minsker: “Travis Barker noted in the album’s announcement trailer that this new song focuses on the question of “why does it take these catastrophes like me being in a plane crash or Mark being sick for our band to get back together.” By the way, this song they even got Barker to sing a bit by himself (clip)
- The National – I’ve been listening to this album non-stop. I’ve even written a script for a review and still have every intention of producing it. BUT – this was their newest album (released back in April). Last Friday night during their Homecoming Festival in Cincinnati, up on stage – they announced a companion album to this one. The new LP is called: Laugh Track. We’ve already heard several of the songs but there’s a total of 12 and the song being pushed today on Spotify is “Deep End.” (clip)
- Earlier this month, the Chemical Brothers released their album: For That Beautiful Feeling – I enjoy the Chemical Brothers, but it was not on my radar. But today though, it is – because they released a video for a single that they are pushing: “Skipping Like a Stone.” Why do I like this so much – you got my man, Beck, guesting with his vocals (clip) Sorry – I know Beck didn’t sing yet and I really don’t know how many people will get what I just did there, but the beginning of that song reminded me so much of the beginning of Dire Straits’ “Money for Nothing.” I can’t playing the clips – otherwise, I get flagged, but definitely something to go back and listen to. It’s on the playlist! Alright, let’s hear Beck this time (clip)
- Soccer Mommy—aka Sophie Allison—recently shared her version of Sheryl Crow’s “Soak Up The Sun” as well as Taylor Swift’s “I’m Only Me When I’m With You” – I played that one a couple weeks ago. Out today, we get the 5 song EP appropriately titled Karaoke Night since she is covering five of her favorite songs to play live. Here’s a little snippet of “Here” – the cover she does from the band, Pavement (clip)
- Several quick hits of new music: Kylie Minogue’s Deluxe version of her album: Tension – all out in its glory today // Doja Cat? Same thing with her album: Scarlet // Zach Bryan? He’s got a little 5 song EP out called Boys of Faith // and lastly, the Awolnation dude has a new song out. I know it’s a band, but it’s mainly Aaron Bruno at the front. This is “Candy Pop” (clip) I am always a sucker for a video shot of the needle dropping onto vinyl (clip)
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pigeons & Planes, Pitchfork, Dan Deluca of the Philly Inquirer & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“The past is only the future with the lights on.” – by Mark Hoppus