morning babble / Friday 02-17-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
Fridays mean music to me anymore. I’ve been doing this “New Music Friday” for over two years now and I honestly look forward to all the new stuff to listen to.
Another musical direction that I love venturing down the road of is vinyl. This year’s Record Store Day is April 22nd and the specialty day releases have been announced. Top one goes to the Taylor Swift exclusive RSD vinyl live recordings from her Disney+ special Folklore: Longpond Studio Sessions. I looked over the list and saw Billy Joel, Metallica, Jason Isbell, but there was one that slipped by me and that was Poe (clip). Watching that video from Too Many Records brought to my attention the 1995 debut Poe album – Hello – would be available. On the wish list . . . along with the Taylor Swift one.
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey, a new R-rated horror flick that turns Pooh Bear into a serial killer. Debuting in US theaters today, the film follows a college-age Christopher Robin, who returns home to find that his merry pals have gone mad in his absence. copyright protections on content introduced then are set to expire 95 years later…or right about now. The filmmaker behind Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey, Rhys Frake-Waterfield, also has two other movies planned based on characters that are entering the public domain: Peter Pan’s Neverland Nightmare and (swallow your coffee before reading this next one) Bambi: The Reckoning.
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- Lana Del Rey has shared the second single from her forthcoming album, Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd. She co-wrote and co-produced the new song, “A&W,” with frequent collaborator Jack Antonoff. (clip) And to think I thought that a song called “A&W” would be about Root Beer. Anyway – full album drop next month – 3/24 (clip)
- Nine years later after his 1st album, Skrillex today delivers his sophomore album called: Quest for Fire. We’ve already received a couple singles from this album already. Today’s push is with the one featuring Missy Elliott (clip) RATATA. 15 songs in a second under 45 minutes – the 2nd album from Skrillex Quest for Fire
- Planet Giza (gee zuh) and Saba have joined forces for a new single (what you doing) “WYD” (clip). I just began digging into Saba and now with this collaboration with Planet Giza – I’m looking forward to hearing more Planet Giza.
- Pink delivers her 9th album in its entirety today called Trustfall. We already got the one dancing single ” Never Gonna Not Dance Again.” Big 70s sound that even though I’m sort of terrified of the genre . . . Pink does it right. However, besides the dancing songs, she’s apparently going to make you cry on this album, too. (clip) That’s track #1 and it’s called “When I Get There” That has Pink looking to the heavens and asking her late father, “Is there a bar up there where you’ve got a favorite chair?” 13 songs – there’s some other dance ones on there – oh and a duet with Chris Stapleton.
- Other new music out today: Madison Cunningham with Remi Wolf / Janelle Monae / and Nessa Barrett (clip) That last video . . . gets very revealing.
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pitchfork & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Obstacles are an opportunity to create something new” – by Skrillex