morning babble / Friday 04-07-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
This past week – 29 years ago – we lost Kurt Cobain. On that same dreaded date of April 5th – we lost Layne Staley 21 years ago.
Happier news – this past week, I did enjoy one of the new drinks at Dunkin called the Caramel Chocolate Cold Brew. Oh – it’s good. BUT – I ordered it that one day and then I went into the store to order it again the next day.
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- Michigan’s Greta Van Fleet have announced that they have a new album – Starcatcher – coming out this summer. To be specific: July 21st. That’s far. Don’t worry today we get one of the album’s singles called “Meeting the Master” (clip)
- Earlier in the summer – June 2nd – actually, that’s still considered Spring, isn’t it? Eh – anything after Memorial Day is Summer. Anyway, Mr. Ben Harper has a full album drop on 6/2 called Wide Open Light, but today we get one of the new songs AND it’s a duet with Jack Johnson. Song is called “Yard Sale.” (clip)
- A surprise new song last night from Drake called “Search & Rescue” (clip) Within the track, there’s audio of Kim Kardashian talking about her relationship with ex-husband Kanye West in the E! series finale of “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” in 2021. “I didn’t come this far, just to come this far and not be happy, remember that,” she says in the sample. Don’t read it Brent, play it (clip)
- You know the drill by now with every new full moon this year, we get another song from Mr. Peter Gabriel. For the month of April, it’s called i/o and is described as “A song about the interconnectedness of everything”
- Other New Music: 20th Anniversary of Meteora from Linkin Park is out – over 5 hours of music – clear out the schedule for the rest of the day, I got some music to listen to. // The Talbott Brothers have a 7-song album that actually came out last Friday called Stripped from Studio Space Camp – I’m mad I missed that just over the name of the album. Really enjoy their chill sound though. Be sure to give them a listen. // Lastly, Jonas Brothers have a new song about “Waffle House” – zero references to bacon though (clip)
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pitchfork & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Focus on the step in front of you, not the entire staircase.” – by someone