morning babble / Friday 04-21-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
Record Store Day Weekend – the actual day though is Saturday. Taylor Swift is this year’s global ambassador for Record Store Day – so, of course, she’s got something special going on – she’s releasing a special limited edition two-sided 7-inch clear vinyl record containing two versions of her song “The Lakes” from her 2020 album Folklore. Only 10,000 copies of the vinyl are available. That’s not a lot. However, there are more than 300 other new releases from other artists going on sale for Saturday such as Madonna, Pearl Jam, Blondie, Mariah Carey, Wilco, the Foo Fighters, and a 30-year anniversary release of PM Dawn’s sophomore album, “The Bliss Album…?”PM Dawn. (clip) You might not know that one. About this (clip)
Record Store Day encourages music fans to support independent record stores – I will be visiting mine – Rainbow Records in Newark, DE. Will I be in line for the Taylor Swift release? If it’s still there – why not? Otherwise, I’m all in on the P.M. Dawn and possibly the Pearl Jam.
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that! Heary on the rock / alternative today.
- Missed a new song last Friday via Ben Folds who will be releasing his 1st album in 8 years called What Matters Most – full release happens on June 2nd. This song is the 2nd release off that album: “Exhausting Lover” (clip) She’s tiring him out.
- The foreplay for this next song began back on January 9th. Sped up in March and continued throughout this month. Finally – today – the teasing ends as we get the new song from AJR called “The Dumb Song” (clip) No news on a full album release since that is apparently still being worked on by the brotherly trio. Apparently, they are also still at work on the music to a Broadway adaptation of Harold and the Purple Crayon. AJR – keeping themselves busy!
- First solo album in nearly 11 years. He’s half of the hip-hop duo Run the Jewels. I’m talking about Killer Mike. This past Monday, he held a listening party in New York . . . in a church. (clip) The song is called “Don’t Let the Devil” and the new album is called Michael – we get that full album though until June 2nd.
- Another album that is dropping on June 2nd – that’s a big day coming up – we the first album from the Foo Fighters since the unexpected death of their drummer Taylor Hawkins last year in March. Album is called But Here We Are and this is the song called “Rescued” (clip)
- Other New Music: /// Sublime has a new live album out called $5 At The Door – it’s from a show back in 1994 // Got another new song from Ed Sheeran called “Boat” which is off is upcoming album called (-) due out May 5th / Lastly, Soundgarden could release one last album featuring the incredible vocals of their late frontman Chris Cornell. In a statement, Soundgarden announced they had resolved a dispute with Chris Cornell’s estate and will be working together moving forward. It could be happening. (clip)
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pitchfork & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“No one is you, and THAT is your power.” – by Dave Grohl