morning babble / Friday 04-28-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
Happy Friday, Saturday, Sunday – Happy Weekend! I’m in a good mood. I just finished up my 3-Day Fast recap / As a family we went to Pizza By Elizabeths – if you aren’t familiar with this restaurant, the concept is a fun one. Every pizza created is named after a famous Elizabeth. Mine last night was named “Montgomery” which is for the actress Elizabeth Montgomery (clip). Lots of meat on this pizza. I also had them add on some spicy sausage as well. Shook on some hot pepper flakes. I ate the whole thing. (clip) Feeling good though.
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- The National’s new album fully drops today – we get all the songs for First Two Pages of Frankenstein. This is an album that I need to get on vinyl, so I’ll be visiting my place Rainbow Records at some point in time soon – gotta save up again after Record Store Day. Anyway – this is an album that I describe as chill. I need to work on my adjectives more because I’ll say that a lot – this is chill. So, here’s what Pitchfork’s Brad Shoup, “With help from Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, and Sufjan (soohf-yaan) Stevens, the National return with their gentlest album yet: a collection of airy, tender gestures.” He’s got good adjectives in there. The song being pushed today on Spotify is “The Alcott” which is the one with Miss Taylor Swift. (clip)
- Illenium has been releasing more and more music, so much so that I thought the album was already out. Nope – it’s actually today we get the whole sha-bang – 16 songs, nearly an hour of music and creatively titled Illenium. Saved the creativity part for the music (clip) that song is called “Eyes Wide Shut” and on vocals, it’s Avril Lavigne and on drums, it’s Blink’s banger – Travis Barker. Speaking of Travis, I do something a little creepy. Travis Barker recently posted this (clip) That’s Virgil Abloh’s book Icons – he’s an American fashioner designer or was . . . we lost him back in 2021. That’s a $75 book laying on Travis’ coffee table. But – it’s those pictures that help me explore what other people are looking at, reading, studying . . . it’s still creepy huh.
- (Clip of Emmaline) – That’s “After You’ve Gone” via the sultry jazzed up singer Emmaline released a six song EP. She was just featured in her first film called Sweetwater. Her vocals were featured throughout the movie and, of course, is on the movie’s soundtrack. However, there were a bunch of unused songs that she put together on this EP called Songs from Sweetwater. The movie was set in 1950, so this is a collection of old jazz standards. Definitely check her out.
- Since I listen and heart music from Emmaline, I believe that this is why this song appeared in my feed today with Spotify (clip) “That’s a plenty” and it’s off the Bing & Ella album – a duets album from Bing Crosby and Ella Fitzgerald. Eight songs on this album. One of my favorite channels on Sirius Radio is the 50’s Gold channel – I love that type of sound. A $5 buy at Rainbow Records got me this vinyl American Graffiti (clip) I’ve got a story to tell about that album. I’m going to save it for another day though – too much babbling today so far.
- Other new music to mention: Coi Leray has a new single out called “Bops” (clip) That’s all I can play – my little girl watches these videos too much / Beach House released a 5-song EP called Become / and finally – Kesha gets producer Rick Rubin to help her with two new singles released today “Fine Line” and “Eat the Acid” (clip) Let her sing! Stop putting your hands in her mouth. Reminds me of The Edge in that video for U2’s song “Numb” (clip) Those were feet. I wouldn’t want feet on my face. All bunioned up ,smelly, ingrown toenails
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pitchfork & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“I don’t have the patience to be a non-creator.” – by Virgil Abloh