morning babble / Friday 06-30-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
(Pork & Beans clip)
Got my Weezer on this past Tuesday night / I also did my final 10k run of the month
(Greatest Man clip)
- Happy Anniversary to my wife – thank you for tolerating . . . this and me.
- 10k run everyday for June – did it. I’m gonna recap of the month on Monday – on a very special Babble.
- Weezer again.
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- Not too long ago, it was announced that Olivia Rodrigo was coming out with her 2nd album called Guts on September 8th. So, we knew a new song had to be coming soon (cut) Radio edit (cut) She’s angry at something. I didn’t do it. BUT – I am looking forward to the rest of what she delivers on September 8th – again the album is called Guts and that song is “Vampire”.
- Bradley James Nowell was the lead singer and guitarist of the band Sublime (cut). We lost him back in 1996 – I remember that during my radio days. He had a son who was 1 at the time. Obviously, that kid is all grown up now and his name is Jakob Nowell and he has a band that goes by: Jakobs Castle. He already released a 9-song filled album earlier this year. BUT – this past week, we got another new song from him called: “Time Traveler” (clip)
- New hip-hop out of Philly with one of their own – Lil Uzi Vert. His album Pink Tape is out in its entirety today – 26 songs, nearly an hour and half of new music. So, I obviously haven’t had time yet to go through all that. Spotify is pushing the single with Nicki Minaj called “Endless Fashion” (clip)
- Couple weeks ago the band – Vacations – came out with the song “Midwest.” And, I liked it. Line 1 of Wikipedia states Vacations are an Australian indie rock band from Newcastle, New South Wales formed in 2015. The band’s musical style sounds similar to Mac DeMarco who Campbell Burns said is a very big influence for the band. BUT – I believe I found someone else that they sound like. Here’s their song “Midwest” (clip) and here’s the other band that it made me think of (clip) – that’s “Blasphemous Rumours” from Depeche Mode. Late September, they begin touring in the US.
- Quick Hits: Neon Trees came out with “Favorite Daze” – That’s the name of their tour, too. Which came first? // From HBO’s show – “The Idol” – The Weeknd and Lil Baby released a song together called “False Idols” // and finally, a favorite of mine Glorious Sons released “Lighting Bolt” (clip) – they are coming to Philly in September . . . hoping to get to that one at the Union Transfer. The restaurant – La Chinesca – is right next door and makes out a wonderful evening whenever a show is there.
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pigeons & Planes, Pitchfork & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“If you’re you, it doesn’t matter if you’re the most boring person in the world” – by Lili Uzi Vert