morning babble / Friday 10-06-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
If you’re a Phillies fan, you undoubtedly know what happens after hearing that song.
Happy Weekend! Don’t worry – I know not everyone is a Phillies or even a sports fan for that matter. I figured that it was sort of relative to Music. Walk up songs fascinate me. And at the start of the babble was Mr. Bryson Stott’s walk-up song. The other day – I explained that my walk-up song would be the tune from Andrew W.K. – “Party Hard” (clip)
The “high” that sports gives us. Speaking of high. Music related again.
So, since I’m not going to do sports talk – let’s talk about getting high, because again, it’s music related. Seth Rogen – everyone’s like – ahhhhh – of course, we’re talking about weed. (clip) Seth along with his childhood friend and filmmaking partner Evan Goldberg have created Houseplant, which is a line of weed products. Don’t worry – here comes the music portion of the program – they recently rolled out the third volume of their LP Vinyl Box Set series, which collects songs they curated specifically for getting high. There are three discs: Sativa (upbeat), Indica (mellow), and Hybrid (somewhere in between). (smoking clip)
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- October 20th is getting closer and closer – that’s the day we get all of the Blink-182 album called One More Time… However, the boys – Tom, Mark, and Travis – are giving us another early treat from this album. And – not only do we get the new song “Dance With Me” but we can watch them play dress-up in a new video too which they labeled “a love letter to the Ramones.” I believe this song has a Dude Ranch flavor to it (clip)
- Earlier this week, Sufjan Stevens shared another new song from Javelin – the album that is out in its entirety . . . today. However, I did learn via Pitchfork that Stevens recently explained that he was diagnosed with Guillain (gi-yan)-Barré (bar) syndrome, an autoimmune condition that attacks the nervous system. He went on to say “It’s a slow process, but they say I will ‘recover.” Wishing the best for Mr. Stevens. Here’s “A Running Start.” (clip)
- Sleater-Kinney have announced their new LP – Little Rope – which is due out January . . . January 19th to be exact. This is a follow-up to their 2021 Path of Wellness album. Anyway – we do have one song out with a video along for the ride – this is called “Hell” (clip)
- Philly Band – Frankford Fitler. I keep wanting to say “Filter” and I know it’s not Filter guys (Filter clip). That’s Filter. Frankford Fitler have released a double EP which includes their previously released EP called Moving On. However, this one has four new tracks. This one is called Further Down the Road (clip)
- Several quick hits of new music: Third Man Records are the masterminds behind the 29-song compilation of previously unheard recordings of the band Heatmiser and its creatively titled The Music of Heatmiser // If you’re into Drake – you’ve got a new album to listen to – For All the Dogs . . . that’s all I got // Dogstar – the band with John Wick on Bass aka Keanu Reeves – has their full album out today – Somewhere Between the Power Lines and Palm Trees (John Wick clip)
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pigeons & Planes, Pitchfork, Dan Deluca of the Philly Inquirer & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“It’s not dying you need to be afraid of, it’s never having lived in the first place.” – by Seth Rogen