morning babble / Friday 02-18-22
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
Season 4 premiere of “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” Amazon announced its most awarded Prime Video series has been greenlit for a fifth and final season. Production for the final season is currently underway in New York City.
317 days until EXIT PLAN
Record Store Day 2022 will be here in a little over 2 months – Saturday, April 23rd. Also, it returns to a one-day affair after pivoting to varied drops in 2020 and 2021. Taylor Swift, who is releasing a 7″ of “The Lakes.” Other notable releases include David Bowie’s Brilliant Adventure and Toy EPs; a new reissue of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds’ Live Seeds; a picture disc of Kacey Musgraves’ Star-Crossed; an orange LP of St. Vincent’s The Nowhere Inn; and a CD release of Lil Wayne’s Sorry 4 the Wait. Click here for the full list
New Music Friday:
- Benjamin Gibbard–curated compilation Ocean Child: Songs of Yoko Ono. Before the album arrives, Gibbard and his band Death Cab for Cutie have shared their cover of Yoko Ono’s 1973 song “Waiting for the Sunrise.” In addition to Death Cab for Cutie, Ocean Child includes contributions from David Byrne, Yo La Tengo, Japanese Breakfast, the Flaming Lips, and others. A portion of the proceeds from Ocean Child will be donated to the nonprofit organization WhyHunger. The album’s release also coincides with Ono’s 89th birthday. Thank you Pitchfork for the breakdown on this one.
- Frank Turner had a full album drop that occurred last Friday – missed it. The album is called FTHC. The single that’s out is “Fatherless”. It’s about his dad, who came out as a trans woman several years ago. This is what Turner has to say about his dad: “Miranda is a kind person, a considerate person and I’m not sure I can say the old one was.”
- Philly guy, Kurt Vile released a single called “Like Exploding Stones”. It’s a dreamy-like 7+ minute guitar strum session with amusing lyrics. This is off his upcoming album release – (watch my moves) – which is out in its entirety on April 15th. The new album includes a cover of Bruce Springsteen’s “Wages of Sin.”
- Keeping it local – sort of. Baltimore duo – Beach House. They have a new album out – Once Twice Melody. It’s not really my type of “jam” but I did enjoy listening to it last night as my daughter snuggled up and fell asleep on me while in the library.
- Mimi Webb – I talked about her back in October (click here for that) – released today a new single called “House on Fire”. Initially, I thought she had a video to go with it, but after staring at her for about a minute, I realized that it was just an “audio” video with the cover of the single which is her as the video. Obviously, she’s not bad to look at. I really do like her voice though.
- Breaking & Entering: “I hope you’re happy” by Games We Play. I saw this one on Tik Tok. The singer was goofing and playing a little ditty for his girlfriend who I guess has a ton of followers. It then went into this song.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Music is the connective tissue between all of us – no matter where we are” – by Clemency Burton-Hill on the Chase Jarvis Show