morning babble / Friday 10-14-22
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
I like today. My family is off from school and home. For me – It’s paperwork day, so I’m here. Good feelings on the work that I’ll get done and then weekend ahead. 3-Day Fast is done – so, I can eat again. AND yes – have my Black Jack Chewing Gum.
Got my 302 Horseshoe Crab Shirt on – representing my state of D-Ware. Here’s the link! It’s a lifestyle brand honoring Delaware’s state marine animal and the shared connection of our area code.
79 days until EXIT PLAN
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- Blink-182 – Yes, the classic lineup of Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus, and Travis Barker have reunited – first time since 2015. Hey, 7 years is long time when you’re a Blink fan. Now, I like the other two albums that they did without Tom, but instead with the other guy from Alkaline Trio – Matt Skiba. In fact, I like the band, Alkaline Trio a lot, so when I heard that Skiba was in for DeLonge – initially, I was like “cool”. BUT – there’s something about the original. I love hearing Tom and Mark singing their own parts on the song and the way it sounds. Barker behind the drum kit – he’s a modern-day “one of the great ones” drummer. Oh and why did Tom come back? DeLonge cites Mark Hoppus’ cancer battle as a factor in his decision to rejoin the band; it “really put things in perspective.” Anyway – new album next spring / new tour next year – dates are out / and new song today. (clip). It’s called “Edging” – google it . . . it’s fun. Only 2 minutes and 33 seconds, but I’m loving it. Thank you Blink and I am glad Tom is back. (Miss you – clip)
- Tove Lo has a whole new album out today and it was done all by herself – well, it was her first self-released project. The album is called Dirt Femme (fam) 12 songs, almost 40 minutes of new tunage. Although, we have heard a couple already – “True Romance” and “2 Die 4.” Today, the push is on for yesterday’s video released single: “Grapefruit.” Here’s the link to that video. I was going to play that, but I’ve got something else to play. How to say her name – it’s Two Ve Loo, but she still accepts Tove (Dove) Lo (Low). Play clip.
- New Peter Gabriel – the song is a Leonard Cohen remake called “Here It Is” and it’s wonderful. Gabriel is mainly “talk-singing” like Cohen does on the original, but Peter’s voice these days . . . being the older gentleman that he is at 72 . . . has that rich deep resonating sound coming through. Love it. I was hoping for more songs, but then, I realized that the song was off of a tribute album for the late Leonard Cohen. That album is out today and called Here It Is: A Tribute to Leonard Cohen. All kinds of incredible artists are on there: Norah Jones, Peter Gabriel, Gregory Porter, Sarah McLachlan, Luciana Souza, James Taylor, Iggy Pop, Mavis Staples, David Gray, and Nathaniel Rateliff.
- Quick Hits:
- 1) Girl in Red has a new song out “October Passed Me By” – it’s the sequel to 2018’s ‘We Fell In Love In October” AND it has its own short film – should be out shortly – trailer link.
- 2) Green Day – they shared a previously unreleased song from their Nimrod 25th Anniversary Edition album. The song is “You Irritate Me” – about a minute and 30 seconds, but it’s music from Green Day that you haven’t heard.
- 3) New Bruce Springsteen – Couple weeks ago, he announced a new covers album called Only The Strong Survive. Today, we get its second release of the Commodores song, “Nightshift.”
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“The fact that music can induce goosebumps, draw a tear, inspire and connect is one of my favorite parts of being human.” by Mark Hoppus