morning babble / Friday 11-10-23
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
That’s such a good song. More on that later. That’s called a teaser.
Morning Babble opener
Happy Weekend / Happy Veterans Day Weekend – go thank them for doing something that I know a whole lot of us don’t have the nerve to go out and do. We need all those brave men and women. Thank YOU!
“Have to” Work
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for New Music Friday. Click here for that!
- I’m not the biggest fan of country music – at all. In turn, I realize that I don’t talk about country music too often on here. I’m not going to be fake. But – when there’s good music released like Kane Brown, I listen and I talk about it. Today, Chris Stapleton released his album – Higher. That man can sing. 14 songs, almost an hour of new music. The song being pushed today is “What Am I Gonna Do” – listen to the album (clip)
- By the way, speaking of country music – congrats to Tracy Chapman who made history this past Wednesday night when her song “Fast Car” won Song of the Year at the 57th Annual Country Music Association Awards – CMAs. By the way, that’s 35 years after the song’s original release. (clip) Her win makes her the first Black songwriter, male or female, to win Song of the Year at the CMA’s. Luke Combs did the cover and it took off in the country musical world. Many artists have done the cover Sam Smith, Justin Bieber, Khalid. My favorite was done by the Black Pumas (clip)
- Back in June, Fashion Designer and DJ, Peggy Gou released a single called “(It Goes Like) Nanana” – I’ll just play it. (clip) Fast forward to today and let’s bring on Lenny Kravitz (clip) There’s been a little collaboration between the two of them – Peggy and Lenny. It’s going to appear on her album due out in 2024. The song is called: “I Believe in Love Again” (clip) And speaking of Mr. Lenny Kravitz, he is set to release his new album called Blue Electric Light on March 15th. Last month, he did share the single “TK421″ and I’m sorta ready for this sound (clip).
- At the beginning of the Babble, I did a teaser and played a couple clips of a Nirvana song called “Son of a Gun” (clip) It’s not that long of a song, so it will pretty much be the whole thing before I know it. Anyway – I saw release from two artists that I enjoy – Judah & the Lion and K.Flay. The song was called “Son of a Gun” – it’s not a cover though. Still good though (clip)
- Several quick hits of new music: We are one week away from Dolly Parton releasing unto the world her Rockstar album // Lots of new Hip-Hop music out today – Rick Ross & Meek Mill, Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz, Lil Durk & Only The Family – some really good stuff and I’d play some, but uh . . . kids are around // Via his Instagram story, Frank Ocean dropped a one-minute teaser of new music. Come on Frank – we’re ready for the rest of it // Lastly, Sleater-Kinney’s forthcoming album, Little Rope, is out January 19th. Today, we got it’s 2nd released single called “Say It Like You Mean It” (clip)
Thank you to Spotify, Rolling Stone, Apple Music, uDiscoverMusic, Pigeons & Planes, Pitchfork, Louder, Dan Deluca of the Philly Inquirer & I know there’s more.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“I’m lucky that I get to do what I would do as a hobby for a living.” – by Chris Stapleton