morning babble / Thursday 09-29-22
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
HAPPY FRIDAY EVE!
Hoping everyone is okay in Florida with Hurricane Ian / Last night it was learned that we lost Hip-Hop artist Coolio at the age of 59. My son had not too long ago played the junk out of “Gangsta’s Paradise” – it was to the point that I think I heard it more with my son than back in the day when it was a huge hit. Maybe I’m exaggerating, but just know it was a lot.
94 days until EXIT PLAN
With “New Music Friday” coming tomorrow . . . I really begin digging into some new stuff that’s trickling out right now. I also follow Pitchfork which helps me with a lot of the new music. BUT – just yesterday, they released their list of the 150 Best Albums of the 90s. That’s all me. So, I got lost into the list and confused. It’s like All-Star selections . . . someone is always snubbed. So – here’s my little commentary.
- They covered Hip-Hop and did it well. A Tribe Called Quest made the list twice with one of their albums holding the #9 spot. AND – I absolutely applaud the #2 album being Lauryn Hill: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
- They also listed some of the artists that we lost too soon like Elliott Smith and Jeff Buckley.
- The obscure was played out too much – Neutral Milk Hotel made the list. I like that album, but on the top 150? This occurred throughout – all the way to the #1 album spot, which went to My Bloody Valentine with their Loveless album
- Where’s the grunge? Nirvana landed twice / Soundgarden sneaked in at #148 / No Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, or Alice in Chains. AND – this one really bothered me – at #8 it was Hole’s Live Through This album. How is Courney Love going to be higher than Nirvana’s Nevermind album which came in at #10.
- Personally, Beck should have been higher – Odelay is an amazing album – #1 for me.
BUT – when all was said and done – thank you, Pitchfork. You made me remember some albums that I had forgotten and gave me some happy thoughts – that’s what it’s all about.
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Life is too short to not have fun; we are only here for a short time compared to the sun and the moon.” – by Coolio