morning babble / Friday 12-09-22
This is the scribble that leads to the babble. Sometimes, it gets tidied up; but other times, not so much. When all else fails: watch the video!
Happy Friday! 3-Day Fast is officially over for myself. No pasta, No wonton soup, No egg rolls. Nope – we went out to Two Stones Pub located in Hockessin, so I could enjoy one of my favorite beer beverages that is called “Up Up & Away” and have some wings. Those wings – on the bone or “Bone in” – I got the Sesame Soy flavor as well as the sriracha aioli sauce.
Oooo – and tonight – we’re heading out to Philly. We’re going to the South Jazz Kitchen to see the holiday show from Emmaline. (play clip) That’s going to be difficult to look at. Not at all. My wife introduced me to her music. Such a talented artist – that sultry voice, she plays the violin, and a great band behind her. Emmaline – if you can’t get to a show, at least go listen to her or watch her on YouTube.
23 days until EXIT PLAN
New Music Friday:
I put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I talked about and thought about today for today’s New Music Friday. Click here for that! Thank you to Pitchfork, Yahoo Entertainment, Rolling Stone, I know there’s more but thanking them for helping me out with all that I spout out.
- Alabama Shakes’ debut album – Boys And Girls – turns 10 this year. (play clip) So, today a deluxe version of it was released. Two-disc album with over an hour of music. It contains the album’s original 11 songs plus an additional 11 tracks from the band’s live performance on KCRW, which aired in the months leading up to the album’s release. I love Brittany Howard’s sound. Pitchfork actually describes it best, “Howard’s gale-force delivery, an instrument that could have blown Otis Redding back.” (play clip)
- Weezer has their final SZNZ’s album come out later this month on the 21st – the Winter edition. Today, they gave us one of those songs early – “I Want A Dog” (play clip) We still have our dog – Charlie. The ghost of Brodie is whispering into his ear (well, megaphoning) to do certain things in order to win the home. Trip them when they’re in the kitchen. Stare at the door and they’ll open. Make annoying licking sounds and they’ll get you fresh water. Anyway – Weezer – I have thoroughly enjoyed this musical journey throughout the year with their season’s albums. I enjoyed that we constantly got new Weezer. Unfortunately for them, I’m now anxious to see what’s in store for 2023.
- Gorillaz are back with their 8th studio album on February 24th, but they have slowly been feeding us some of the tunes from it. Today, we got another new song called “Skinny Ape.” (play clip) Also, they plan to debut the song live next week with a pair of augmented reality performances in London and New York City. That new album is called Cracker Island.
- Back in 2018, SZA (si zza) dropped her debut album. Along the way, we’ve got some singles here and there, but that’s it. Today though, we got a huge 2nd album – SOS – from her. 23 songs -over an hour of new music. It does include recent single releases “Good Days” and “Shirt” but otherwise a ton of goodies for fans and the online response so far is that it could be the album of the year. (play clip)
- Change the middle letter in SZA and we get Sia – couple years ago, she came out with Everyday is Christmas. Then, last year, it was released again as Everyday is Christmas (The Snowman Deluxe Edition). This year, it has been re-released with even more holiday songs from her. Here’s one with a favorite holiday phrase of mine: “Naughty or Nice” (play clip)
Please subscribe on YouTube and spread the Babble wherever you can – Thank you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Even if nobody cared, I’m still gonna make music.” by Brittany Howard